New York Times Busted in Hezbollah Photo Fraud!
** Dead Men Walking! **
** UPDATE: The New York Times makes a correction– details below.
Bizzyblog forwarded the “Dead Guy w/ no dust” photo this morning thinking that this guy looked pretty clean for a bomb attack!
Here is the post from this morning:
The NY Times Hezbollah Photo Dust Up
An anonymous commenter put the pieces together on this Hezbollah photo fraud this afternoon:
This photo is part of a photo essay entitled “Turmoil in the Mideast” – Reports from Israel and Lebanon: Attack in Tyre” accessible through the NYT website. All of the photographs are attributed to Tyler Hicks/The New York Times. The photograph shown on your site is photo number 6 in the array.
“Dead Guy w/ no dust” shows up with hat in photo no. 2 (right side) pointing out something to the photographer.
You see him again scrambling over debris in photo no. 3 and no. 4.
Finally, you see him laying dead on top of the debris with a heartbreaking caption.
Image 6- The “dead” man is sweating and holding his hat by his side!
Caption: The mayor of Tyre said that in the worst hit areas, bodies were still buried under the rubble, and he appealed to the Israelis to allow government authorities time to pull them out. (Photo Tyler Hicks The New York Times)
** Notice that he is even holding his hat next to his body with his arm!
Hat Tip Russ
(Again- Click on each picture to enlarge)
So, dead guy began his day assisting the photographer, then scrambled over debris, then fell dead. Perhaps the caption should have read “don’t help – you’ll end up dead”.
Update: Tom Pechinski sends this article on the NYT photographer – “Hicks Shares Iraq Pics”
Update 2: Michelle Malkin has a scan of “The Pieta” picture as posted at NPR. The picture at NPR does not excuse the NYT’s misrepresentation nor does it answer the other open questions about the photograph.
A picture caption with an audio slide show on July 27 about an Israeli attack on a building in Tyre, Lebanon, imprecisely described the situation in the picture. The man pictured, who had been seen in previous images appearing to assist with the rescue effort, was injured during that rescue effort, not during the initial attack, and was not killed.
The correct description was this one, which appeared with that picture in the printed edition of The Times: After an Israeli airstrike destroyed a building in Tyre, Lebanon, yesterday, one man helped another who had fallen and was hurt.
Michelle Malkin has more on the NYT correction.
From the Grapevine:
Now, The New York Times has issued a correction for a photo on its Web site, which the paper originally described as a Lebanese “body” being pulled from the rubble after an Israeli attack.
Astute readers pointed out the so-called “body” was very much alive in other pictures from the scene.
The Times now says the man “was injured during the rescue effort — not during the initial attack — and was not killed.”