China Police Bust Up Another Protest, One Feared Dead

A 13 year old girl may have died in another violent police crackdown on protesters in southern China:

Up to 20,000 people from several villages in Guangdong province’s Sanjiao township near Zhongshan city gathered on a highway just after dusk on Saturday to continue protests that had begun earlier in the week.

“Between 30 to 50 people were injured as police were attacking anyone they saw,” one villager named Tan, told AFP. “There is a lot of talk that a 13-year old middle school girl student was killed in the attack.”

China had 74,000 protests in 2004.

Police violently broke up a protest in August in Taishi Village in southern China.

Police used batons to break up another demonstration in southern China on Saturday night:

Protesters had blocked a highway in Sanjiao village, Guangdong province, to complain they were not paid enough for land bought to build a road.

“Many people were injured,” a man told the Associated Press news agency – but a government official has denied this.

Rural China has seen a recent rise in protests over land acquisitions.

Rampant development in Guangdong has led to several conflicts between villagers and local officials and developers, reports the BBC’s Louisa Lim from Beijing.

With recent figures showing there were 74,000 protests in 2004, China’s leaders are very worried about rising social unrest, says our correspondent.

At least three people were killed after police opened fire on protesters in the Guangdong village of Dongzhou in December, drawing criticism from Chinese intellectuals.

The protesters were angry about the inadequate compensation given them over land taken to build a major highway in the area.

“Between 30 to 50 people were injured as police were attacking anyone they saw,” a man who gave his name as Tan told the AFP agency.

China News is downplaying the event:

A highway resumed operation after petitioners for land compensation who blocked a local highway in the past four days dispersed Sunday noon in south China’s Guangdong Province, an official said.

No one died in the incident that occurred in Sanjiao township of Zhongshan City, and police used no tear gas or electronic batons or water cannon while dispersing the petitioners and onlookers, said a spokesman with the municipal government of Zhongshan.

However, two policemen and three villagers were injured after the throw of rocks and firecrackers at policemen by petitioners led to chaos.

Previously on Violent Crackdowns in China:
Murder and the Chinese Democracy Movement
China Opens Fire, Kills 20 Protesters!
China Death Toll Rises: 33 Shot Dead, 20 Missing
Images of Tiananmen, Tanks Move on China Town
China Claims Control as Protests Hit Shanghai
Video Released from Site of Massacre, Dongzhou Village

Comments

As a privately owned web site, we reserve the right to edit or remove comments that contain spam, advertising, vulgarity, threats of violence, racism, anti-Semitism, or personal/abusive attacks on other users. The same applies to trolling, the use of multiple aliases, or just generally being a jerk. Enforcement of this policy is at the sole discretion of the site administrators and repeat offenders may be blocked or permanently banned without warning